With the state-of-art facilities and advanced medical technology, the field of hair transplant is hitting the ground everywhere. In hair transplant hair is extracted from the donor area – usually the back of the head where the hairs are not affected by DHT. These hairs are then transplanted or implanted to the crown or front portion of th ehair which is called the recipient area.
In this article we look at the two most common extraction techniques
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) – In FUT or strip method, a strip of the scalp (with hairs) is cut from the scalp. The doctor then stitches up this area. Nurses or technicians extract individual follicles from this strip . These are then implanted to the bald part or recipient area.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) In FUE method, individual hair follicle is extracted by the doctor using a punching needle. This is then implanted vy the doctor into the recipient area.Both methods involve the removal of healthy hair follicles from a donor area and transplanting them at the area of visible hair loss. Strip or FUT is a traditional method of hair transplantation whereas FUE (follicular unit extraction) gives an edge over other traditional hair transplantation.Let us now examine the pros and cons for the two methods.
Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
- Can exract many hairs in a short time. Up to 4000 hairs can be transplanted at a single session in the FUT method
- Gets over faster than FUE
- Leaves a scar on the back of the head. Long hair can cover this but if you have short hair or as you grow old, this can become visible.
- If you require a large number of hairs to be transplanted, the scar will be bigger
- May require a longer healing time
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
- Does not leave any visible marks since you are not cutting any part of the skin. You are only rextracting individual hairs.
- Requires minimum healing, scars or rather dot marks will go away in 3-4 days.
- Minimally invasive, ot does not pierce or cut the s
- Leaves a big scar on the back of the head. Long hair can cover this but if you have short hair or as you grow old, this can become visible.
- If you require a large number of hairs to be transplanted, the car may be bigger
- Will require a longer time (typically around 2000 grafts per session), depending also on the speed of the doctor and nurse(s).